Sunday, December 24, 2006

SCOTT CARSON VOICES OUT..

Charlton Athletic goalkeeper Scott Carson has no regrets joining the club on loan from Liverpool. The former Leeds United custodian has been the one bright light in Charlton's dismal season so far, having put in a string of fine performances for The Addicks.

The England Under 21 international has made the most of regular first-team action at The Valley this season, and despite Charlton being mired in a relegation battle, the 21-year-old is happy with the loan move.

"I signed to the end of the season and, as far as I'm concerned, I'm happy to be here for the full season," Carson said in an interview with the Daily Mail.
"After playing so many games, I don't want to be going back (to Liverpool) and just sitting on the bench. I want to get Charlton back up the table and avoid the drop.

"I'd like to go back to Liverpool and make myself number one, but that's next season.

"I haven't spoken to the manager (Rafa Benitez) since I came here. I haven't spoken to anyone.

"They said they'd have people at every game and that's enough for me. I signed a new five-year deal at the start of the season and that's where I'd like to play my football, but it's going to be difficult.

"They've got Reina there and they're a big club and if they want another player, they can easily buy one.

"They can go and buy someone for £10million. After this takeover, they could buy Buffon for £30million.
"I'm trying to concentrate on Charlton first before I think of Liverpool."

The youngster has come a long way from his upbringing in Cumbria, having enjoyed his unexpected call-up to England's World Cup squad in the summer.
"I was a 20-year-old at the World Cup and I loved every minute of it," Carson added. "I wanted to train all the time.
"I knew I wouldn't get on the pitch, even if Paul Robinson got injured. I was basically just a fan, getting the best seats and training with the players."


louis' comments..

based on the comments by carson, it's seems to me that he just wants to concentrate on his charlton career now and think about liverpool later.

he's a good goalkeeper, full of potential. he was in the world cup squad and this shows that he does have the calibre to fight for a place in the team. currently, for the liverpool team, pepe reina is number one. hence, it's rather hard for carson to actually challenge a place in liverpool.

despite that, i believe he's good enough to be liverpool's no 2 goalkeeper. jerzy dudek? for me, he's on the way out. (though it had delayed for several seasons.) rafa is right in loaning him out to get some match experiences for this young kid.

however, i don't wish to see him leaving us like chris kirkland. i do hope to see carson playing for us. even in just cup competitions. at the moment, continue to play well boy..work hard!

you'll never walk alone.

cheers.

No comments: