Thursday, April 10, 2008

Semi-Finals, Here We Come Again!

Liverpool 4 Arsenal 2
Hyypia 30, Torres 69, Gerrard, 86, Babel 90 - Diaby 13, Adebayor 85

As the famous scoreboard of Anfield showed, Liverpool 4 Arsenal 2. Yes! We've overcame the mighty Arsenal which I always admired for their beautiful passing and style. Credit to Arsene Wenger's men, they really pushed us to the wire.

With an away goal advantage in the first leg, Arsenal needed to score in order to have any chance of advancing, which is something not difficult for the team like Arsenal. Their fast paced one-twos, off the ball runs were extremely devastating for any teams and they did punish us early on with a goal by Diaby.

With an 2-1 aggregate and conceded an away goal, I knew that Liverpool had to work hard for it. Arsenal ain't giving up so fast. The home side was struggling. They couldn't control the game early on and the forwards from London were very fast in attack. Fortunately, we managed to defend well and conceded a goal based on early poor performance.

Just like in 2005, Sami Hyypia scored an crucial goal again in the quarter-finals, bringing the sides on level terms with an stunning header. A corner from Steven Gerrard was headed off the post by the Big Finn, who has just recently signed an extension to his contract.

By seeing his celebrations, I could know that Sami was geared up for this. His experience in the game was just valuable, something which you can't buy with money. Good goal, my man!

Liverpool were better in the second half, creating more and gave Arsenal defenders some work to do. They were pressing high on the pitch, not allowing Fabregas & Co to play their passing game. That was something the Reds failed to do in the first half. If you let Arsenal play their football, you are asking for trouble.

With a 1-1 score, we might be heading to extra-time or even penalties. There's one man who just don't allow it to happen. Who else? Who else? The lad from Sunny Spain! Fernando Torres!

What a goal my boy! Totally world class which took everything out of Arsenal defence and goalkeeper. He made it so simple didn't he?

With just 6 more minutes to go, Arsenal prodigy kid, Theo Walcott dribbled from his own half, past 4 red shirts, crossed perfectly for Adebayor who didn't fail to silence the Anfield crowd at that point of time.

Self shocked! I really thought we were heading out. I was shaking my head in disbelief! How can you allow Walcott to dribble past just like that, it seemed to me that he dribbled past the 11 players!

Just about I was still sighing upon seeing the replay of the goal, I flew off my seat and shouted PENALTY! I guess the ref heard me! YES! Babel went down and I don't care whether it's a foul or not, I just want them to score!

Up step Captain Stevie. So much pressure. The entire Anfield stadium were on their feet, including mine at home. Heavy responsibilities on his shoulders once again, he made no mistake from the spot! I FELT FUCKING GOOD! We just came out from hell. I could sense that Arsenal players were totally shocked.

A minute ago, they were celebrating, but now, the Anfield crowd had came alive again! I was screaming and shouting at my television, instructing the defenders to defend properly. Arsenal came attacking again. They had to give their everything they have in them.

However, Ryan Babel made it totally impossible right at the end. A high ball cleared by fellow countryman, Dirk Kuyt, left no one else with only Babel and Fabregas. Supersub Babel was too fast and strong for Fabregas, whom had played all the 90 minutes of the triology matches. Finished off the game which gave Arsenal no more turning point.

What a game of football! One of the best European nights to be remembered! Rafa's adventure into Europe will continue.

Credits to the 12th man, to the players, to Rafa and of course, it's not over yet. Chelsea, Here We Come Again!

You'll Never Walk Alone..

No comments: